Review: Fake ID by Lamar Giles


Fake ID
Lamar Giles
Series: None
Released: January 21st, 2014
Publisher: HarperCollins
Rating: 3.5 stars
Word Rating: More than I had expected
Reviewed by: Mel

Add to Goodreads

Nick Pearson is hiding in plain sight…

My name isn’t really Nick Pearson.

I shouldn’t tell you where I’m from or why my family moved to Stepton, Virginia.

I shouldn’t tell you who I really am, or my hair, eye, and skin color.

And I definitely shouldn’t tell you about my friend Eli Cruz and the major conspiracy he was about to uncover when he died—right after I moved to town. About how I had to choose between solving his murder with his hot sister, Reya, and “staying low-key” like the Program has taught me. About how moving to Stepon changed my life forever.

But I’m going to.


Three star and three point five star books make me cringe because it’s basically screaming: MONOTONOUS REVIEW AHEAD. STAY AWAY FROM ‘MEH’-NESS. But fairly, this book wasn’t really ‘meh’ or just another book lost in the bookish ocean. Fake ID is much more than a murder mystery. Seriously, what if the person next to you is a murderer? 

1. Fake ID has an intelligent and even funny male main character. I do believe this is the first murder mystery I’ve read with a male lead and it was very successful. Nick and his family have been hiding under the Witness Protection Program for years and he has to try and stay unnoticed. Even his name isn’t his real one. This protagonist was easy to like with his smart and sceptical personality and flaws that only made him more three-dimensional. 

2. Fake ID manages to create a fascinating family dynamic in the background of a mystery thriller. I certainly did not go into this read thinking I’d have some substance such as a family drama. It’s not overbearing but it’s not miniscule either. Nick’s mother is becoming tired and sick of his father for dragging them into hiding and ruining their lives. Soon, her temper is going to break. I also love this aspect because it only made me want to know what the Witness Protection Program was and how they got caught in it even more. 

3. Fake ID does something that a lot of books fail to succeed at—creating a romance that isn’t angsty and domineering. I felt a little surprised when it kicked in, the build-up was obviously there but the kiss. Woah, out of the blue in my opinion. Reya, the love interest was strong and independently capable and also, easy to like. 

4. Fake ID made me constantly question whether what people were saying was true, or false. All the characters in this book were potential culprits of the murders going on and the author managed to throw me off guard when we finally discover who did it. All the conspiracies and tension! It got pretty crazy near the end. 

My main issue with Fake ID was the way it ended. Right now, it is not completely certain whether there will be a sequel or not but I sure hope there is because I have a handful of probing questions I am hoping to get answered. These loose strings honestly made me go a little OCD upon putting down my kindle. Being a more of an impulsive and emotional rater, despite the one standing flaw (and tiny few others) that I aforementioned, I still didn’t give this more than 3.5 stars because it felt like it was missing something. Something really hard to pin point exactly. Am I the only one that ever feels that way? I am getting weirder and weirder every day. O_O 

Fake ID has it all; a witty and humorous lead character, family dynamics, a non-dominating romance with endless questions and conspiracy theories about Whispertown. I do believe this book deserves more acknowledgements than it has now. Highly recommended to lovers of fun murder mysteries, who want even more substance in their reads than just a mystery.

18 comments :

  1. Yeah, this is my next read!! I love a good mystery.
    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! Let us know what you think. :)

      Delete
  2. I acknowledge your blog content because it have different ideas and concepts on how to properly use our fake id's for purpose. I'm glad that you share some important tips! Looking forward for another tips from you regarding this stuff. We have also some id chief made by a professional id maker, so you may try to take a look on them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. scannable fake id

    ReplyDelete
  4. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. how to get a fake id

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... buy fake ids

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. fake passport

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. Fake Passports

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time. I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you... fake identification

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future. Fake Passports

    ReplyDelete
  10. I havent any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. buy fake id

    ReplyDelete
  11. The actual need for Fake ids is actually boosting at the very fast rate and also these kinds of ids are utilized just by adolescents who wants to go to pubs and clubs. Persons can make use of Fake ids to positively dupe the actual safety guards, barkeeper, and many more. People who have requirements to comprehend about Fake ids and also other details can seem liberal to visit https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/what-to-do-about-fake-ids-before-its-too-late.

    ReplyDelete
  12. has been the nets premier provider of novelty ids, where to buy fake ids where to buy novelty id, scannable fake ids and novelty fakes related products."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. fake id maker

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look at the packet. The label says "bath salts" - but you know what it really is. It's fake coke, and everyone at school has been talking about it. 2021 fake id

    ReplyDelete
  15. Technology refers to the collection of tools that make it easier to use, create, manage and exchange information. In the earlier times, the use of tools by human beings was for the process of discovery and evolution. Tools remained the same for a long time in the earlier part of the history of mankind but it was also the complex human behaviors and tools of this era that modern language began as believed by many archeologists. fake ids

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! Premiumfakes.com Best fake ID websites

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please continue this great work and I look 바카라사이트
    forward to more of your awesome blog posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!