Review of If I Stay by Gayle Forman


If I Stay
Gayle Forman
Series: If I Stay, #1
Released: April 2nd, 2009
Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Rating: 4 stars
Word Rating: Not that heartbreaking...
Reviewed by: Mel

Add to Goodreads

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make, and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

“I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.”

Minor spoilers for second paragraph and quotes.

If I Stay has it all. A flourishing friendship, bittersweet romance and enduring family. While this story was set in an insanely short spanse of time, Gayle Forman still manages to create a beautiful novel so effortlessly that I grew to love.

Gayle Forman puts readers in a position that other authors never have before. And I see why many authors may not a have tried. Because it's hard. It's a difficult endeavour, and Forman did a darn good job at making this story, a moving and powerful story. Life was good for Mia before the car accident. She had both parents, a little brother, boyfriend and best-friend. But after the accident, she's only got a boyfriend and a best-friend. When Mia finds herself looking down at her own butchered body, she is torn between the decision of staying or leaving. A short novel expanded by momentous flashbacks, we watch Mia's past seventeen years like a film, and us readers, get torn between the decision as well. Stay or leave?

It wasn't hard to not like Mia. Given her tragic conditions- on the death bed, her passion for music was a rather huge bonus. Music has always been part of my life, and I am a fan of classical music and playing it- it soothes me when I go crazy (a.k.a all the freaking time). I listened to this as an audiobook- I thought the narrator was very good with each voice, though I couldn't help but feel Mia's voice was a little too posh- if that makes any sense. Mia's best-friend, Kim also happened to be one of my favourite characters. She was so fiery and full of love for Mia, I honestly wish I could have a Kim as my bestie.

However, no one beats Adam. Yes, he got irritated easily but being flawless is rather unattractive, right? There are so many quotable sentences by him I simply must share a one of my favourites:
“If you stay, I'll do whatever you want. I'll quit the band, go with you to New York. But if you need me to go away, I'll do that, too. I was talking to Liz and she said maybe coming back to your old life would be too painful, that maybe it'd be easier for you to erase us. And that would suck, but I'd do it. I can lose you like that if I don't lose you today. I'll let you go. If you stay.”
*flail and sniffles at the same time*

Gayle Forman's writing is like a drug. I don't think I will ever get enough of it. The flashbacks were fantastically vivid and tangible, while I did not cry at all in this book, I was dangerously close to it. All in all, If I Stay is not one to miss as it is wholly sweet and strong all at once. It deals with death, choices, friendship and love. All necessities of life. Definitely one worth a try.

16 comments :

  1. I made the mistake of reading Thirteen Reasons WHy, then Before I Fall, then this, so I didn't love it as much as most people did, but Where she Went is one of my all-time favorite books, so I should probably revisit this one.

    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to find Where She Went anywhere- well as an audio at least, I'll probably will have to get the actaul book no matter how much I enjoyed this as an audio. Same here, Kate! I read them in the same order as you but I still really enjoyed this.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I meant that I read those three books right in a row. I think I was done with dead girl stuff by the time I go to this.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE ADAM SO FREAKING MUCH IT HURTS! You need to read Where She went ASAP and we must then discuss and pour out sobbing hearts and feels everywhere. Fantastic review, chick! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to read this for a while! My library had the audiobook of it and I have it on my shelf ready to put on hold whenever. I keep saying I am going to get to it, but then there's always something else. After reading your review for this, I think it will be the next audiobook I check out of my library!! I love a good emotional book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ IT AMY! I think you'll like this one. I look forward to what you think of it :D

      Delete
  4. This book is fantastic and your review captured all the feelings I had while reading it. I've recently begun "re-reading" my favorites via audiobook. I have this one and the sequel to read again soon. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait for Where She Went, everyone says it's especially amazing.

      Delete
  5. I'm in the minority; I really disliked this book. I couldn't connect to the characters at all. I didn't find them interesting or memorable. When I read your review, I was surprised at the mention of Kim. Who the heck was Kim? I don't even remember her. Mostly, though, I just found this book boring.

    I remember being disappointed when I read it, because I'd had it on my wish list for a while and I was expecting it to be great. For me, it wasn't. I know that a lot of people really love this one. I'm just at a loss as to why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because you had your expectations too high? Such a shame that this didn't work for you. :|

      Delete
    2. I don't know if it was merely high expectations. I mean, I was looking forward to Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, and I ended up loving it. Maybe the fact that some books live up to expectations makes it all the more disappointing when others don't. We want them all to be as great as we expect!

      Delete
  6. I love this book. It made me happy and so sad at the same time. I haven't read Where She Went yet, but I'm scared to. I really like Adam and Mai, and like them being in a happy little place in my mind. But if I read Where She Went (which I know they are broken up in) then that'll ruin it. :( Gayle Forman is a great, great writer though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, isn't she? The synopsis of Where She Went killed me. I need it NOWW

      Delete
  7. This one always makes me feel those deep FEELS when I see the title. I loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing book. Loved the way the author focused on her decision. And the way she portrayed Mia. Looking for similar "deep" novels to read. Could anyone suggest some?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!