Review: All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry


All the Truth That's in Me
Julie Berry
Series: None
Released: September 26th, 2013
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Rating: 4.5 stars
Word Rating: Different in a VERY good way
Reviewed by: Mel

Add to Goodreads

Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last.

I remember, when I was younger, I would imagine what it would be like to be completely mute. The idea didn't seem awfully outrageous. Back then, I was quiet, shy. Anathematized talking. However now, the thought horrifies me. Not only would not having a tongue would mean no ice-cream, but also because I am a crazy chatter-box. If I was mutilated, the world be a reticent, monotonous place.

All The Truth That's In Me, to be labelled as different, would be one of the world's greatest understatements. Which probably also contributes to why I loved it so dearly. The narrative point is from Judith, written to her childhood best friend, Lucas- meaning that it was basically told in 2nd person. I have only read one other book in 2nd person which is The Truth About You and Me which left disastrous effects as it made all the supporting characters without persona and well, character. Even though All The Truth That's In Me does not capture the full charisma of every single character; it was far better than The Truth About You and Me. With a contrast of sub-genres mixed together as one; mystery, thriller, romance and historical, All The Truth That's In Me could possibly be categorized as gothic. So ladies and gentlemen, I have accomplished my life goal of reading a gothic novel! Woohoo!

Two friends--girls disappeared that year, only one came back. With half a tongue. Without the ability to talk, Judith comes back. All the people that cared about her don't seem to anymore. As stakes rise, the need for truth is more urgent, but if only Judith could speak... Judith's voice has to be one of the strongest I've ever come across. It's rattling and alarming, and so raw. Julie Berry's writing makes it easy to empathize for Judith and her situation. In some ways, it reminded me of 17 & Gone, as the writing and atmosphere were so tangible and skin-crawling.

The supporting characters ranged quite contrastingly. I found it hard to connect with Lucas, as Judith is referring to him as 'you'. Nonetheless, his character became more defined as the story developed, and in the end, I can say I adored him. Judith's mother is one to despise. Her hostility to her own child astounded me and made me furious. But also created an interesting movement which played nicely with the plot and highlighted Judith's character. Other characters like Judith's brother and Maria felt extremely authentic- not a single person is wasted here.

The pacing of All The Truth That's In Me was a minor problem. I found it thoroughly entrapping but I despite the small size, the pace dragged a tad. I suspect some readers may find this a major issue unlike me. Or, it could be the lack of plot- though I highly doubt it, the plot was delightfully intricate and page-turn-worthy.

Creepy, poetic-like and pure genius, All The Truth That's In Me is something superiorly unique and worth reading. The 2nd person narrative and pace threw me off a bit yet other than that, I loved this. And for some extra entertainment, try tawhking whike you havf no thongue.

15 comments :

  1. I can't believe that I hadn't heard of this book until like the other day. The premise sounds so scary but so addictive too, I seem to be finding myself drawn to more of these dark reads a lot more lately now. I definitely think this book sounds like something that I would enjoy. Fab review Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O__O I have been waiting for this book for eons, lol. This is def. a dark read which I know you'll love. I look forward to your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! I didn't know it was in second person, that sounds really cool. I've read The Truth about You and Me too, and didn't like it that much. But this one sounds epic and so unique.
    I love the last line of your review, I did try it for a minute xD
    Great review, Mel :)

    Richa @ City of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Truth About You and Me is really bad compared to this gem. Talking with a tongue is impossible for me, to be honest. But hey, it was fun to try!

      Delete
  3. This is a book that I know I need to read soon! That cover and the summary and your review have turned it into a priority!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that this one seems so different and is written in the second person. I've only read one other book in second person and it was unique as well. Little concerned about it dragging, but everything else sounds so good I'll definitely be reading this one. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drag isn't much of a problem for some readers- but I know that impatient readers will dislike the novel for this. Overall, I don't think it's something you should be worried about :D

      Delete
  5. I have preordered this one- though it's not the exact same cover. I'm relieved to know that you loved this one. Pace doesn't ever concern me much so I'm quite sure I'll love it. Happy birthday, Mel! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I right to say you preordered the AUS one? I love the AUS one, it really shows the dark and grittiness of this book. Thanks Amelia! I had a blast

      Delete
  6. Oh this is in 2nd person? I read The Truth About You and Me, too and it was a little disappointed by thestory but I did like the narrative style so I'm even more curious about this one. Sounds amazing! Great review, doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Giselle! I have a feeling you'll enjoy this! I have a 5th sense *wink* LOL.

      Delete
  7. The only book that I've read in 2nd person is Lucy Christopher's Stolen. I loved it there and hope I'll find it just as effective here. Also, The Truth About You and Me and All the Truth That's in Me? Pretty similar titles! It took me a while to realise that you were talking about two different books there. :) Great review, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually love second person, I was really surprised at how well it worked. This one sounds so unique, and I can definitely see myself liking it just for that aspect. I loved The Truth About You and Me and am not pretty excited about this one :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to read this one. I haven't read any books fully in 2nd person. I did read one book that started off that way, then went to 1st person in part 2 of it though. I think it's an interesting narrative. This sounds like a really great book. Fantastic review!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!